Monday, March 15, 2010

Two Girls

We’re sitting too close to the screen

The images are distorted, threatening to tip onto us

On the way out two girls approach us

One blonde with glasses and one brunette with long curly hair

The one with glasses is adorable, hard not to look at

She has that pull that makes me sweat

The other is asking me for a cigarette

Tommy gives her one

She’s proud of her interesting accent

The blonde just smiles away

The brunette is asking us about the movie

It was all right, we say

She says she’s from Tel Aviv

I can tell Tommy doesn’t know quite where it is either

She says she’s visiting

She asks if we smoke weed

She asks if we want to go back to a place they have

I’m picturing an apartment that has little in common with the real one

She says this to me while the little blonde smiles at Tommy

The two of them kicking phantom rocks

He looks at me and his face says the decision is mine

He has a girlfriend

I can’t make fast decisions

I’m still stoned

She’s looking at me, expecting a yes

No, we’ve got to get back to Brooklyn

And the joy drops from the air like a single sheet of rain, already drying

We’re all disappointed in me

Well, thanks for the cigarette

Tommy and I walk off

He says they were holding hands on the way in

And that he was surprised I turned them down

I say it just happened too fast

But really I just couldn’t stand to watch

As he grabbed another one right out of the air in front of me

No comments:

Post a Comment